Wanderlove Vintage

Monday, November 3, 2014

This Gypsy Life: A Modern Look at the Classic American Road Trip



I've always believed that those who simply travel fall short of the experiences they could potentially have because the word "travel" lacks the passion and excitement that should always be found in traveling. For this reason, I'm going to tell you about a year of my life spent "adventuring".

My adventuring chronicles are something I'm hesitant to share with all of you because, first of all, my stories will undoubtedly reveal what an utter nerd I am! Thus far, I have done things during my 70 days on the road that epitomize nerdiness, like choosing to go visit one of my favorite author's old haunts in New York City instead of attending a trendy, list only, must-know-someone-absolutely-fabulous-to get-in fashion party. (Not to say my days on the road thus far haven't led me to some of those parties, because they most certainly and unforgettably have.) 

More significantly though, I'm a bit anxious to publicly chronicle my days of adventuring because I will be sharing true stories with you about a time in my life that I feel lost and empty and… well, a time in my life when something is newly missing that made me happy and whole and feel like a giddy little girl. Yes, a time in my life during which I have just parted ways with a great love of my life. This loss transformed me into a gypsy of sorts, desperately searching along my way to find something to replace that newfound emptiness in the pit of my being. What I have come to realize more strongly every day since is that love comes in many different forms, shapes, sizes, and realities. I must say, I am lucky enough to have many loves that, in very different ways, cannot be described as anything other than romantic and thrilling. 

The road. 

The road and all of its offerings and inhabitants and culture and variety, is something that I have such an admiration for that cannot be compared to anything else in this world. As I follow this part of my heart, in all of its non-corporeal greatness, I hope to find myself inching closer to a place I can call home.


No comments:

Post a Comment